Sunday, November 3, 2013

Pork Chop Sandwiches!

Sadly, this post has nothing to do with pork chop sandwiches.  If that upsets you, be prepared for many things in life to rile your ire, as few things in life have anything to do with pork chop sandwiches.  Today has been one of those days when I feel sorry for my wife.  In the past 18 months or so, I have gone from a guy who thought his chest would explode when he ran a mile to a guy who finished a marathon and felt like another 7 miles or so would have been a better cardio workout (never mind how my legs felt).  I now consider myself to be a runner.  This is a step for me because I used to consider myself just a guy who was running to get into better shape.  As I learn more and more about running, I have opened up to more and more running experiences.  Yesterday, I embraced trail running.  Up until now, I have run on trails infrequently and have mostly done road and track stuff.  I live near one of the great resources of Northeast Ohio, the Metroparks, and have decided to embrace the miles of trails offered within.  On yesterday's trail run in my new Asics Gel Fuji Racers, which are super dope for reasons I will explain, I hurt my right knee.  This was no surprise to me.  I have been waiting for my knee to finally give out for about a month and a half.  Now about these shoes.  These trail racers have these ports in the bottom that drain the water out of them as you run.  I love this feature!  I crossed creeks no less than 8 times yesterday and loved the fact that I was able to run right through them with no worry that the shoes would feel heavy after, even with my orthotic inserts in them!  Thanks to my old friend Scott Sipos for the recommendation.  Anyone who wants to run on trails should check these out.  As a bonus, I found the ugly green ones on sale on Amazon.com for less than $60.  Yipppeee!  Now back to my leg.  In April of last year, I hurt my left knee running a half marathon.  I was laid up for close to 2 months.  After I finally saw a Sports Medicine guy, I found out that I had Osgood- Schlatter disease, my legs are different lengths, and my knees are tilted incorrectly.  I have been running in a brace on my left knee since, knowing that the day when I would need one for my right knee was not far off.  Well, I scheduled a visit to the Dr for tomorrow for X-rays, requested a visit with my Sports Medicine guy, and hope to be in a brace and running by this time next week.  Wish me luck.  Now, as for my wife, I feel sorry for her because I have been nothing short of a scathing bitch since I got home from last afternoon's run.  I am on edge and even yelled at our two-year-old today.  I hope to find a way to be less of an a-hole while I am unable to run.  Hopefully the stationary bike and Biggest Loser/P90X DVD's are 1) doable with this bum knee and 2) enough to satisfy my urge for exercise.  If not, I may have to buy my wife a lot of flowers/chocolate/???.  Until next time, pork chop sandwiches indeed!

1 comment:

chqr said...

Goof ball!